Friday, April 24, 2020

Coronavirus quarantining, Day 41, Friday, April 24th, 2020

The Rolling Stones - Living In A Ghost Town (Official Video)






































heartbreaking


























huh, cool
https://www.tiktok.com/@rojitajr/video/6809391870582607110

A LOT of yikes in a single day of news!


Every day I am barraged with Tweets by pandemic illiterates who still compare Covid-19 to the flu, car crashes, heart disease etc.
The same illiterates point to easily debunked articles that claim the number of deaths is overstated and the models are totally wrong. 
The above chart shows just how foolish these pandemic non-believers are. 

A mysterious blood-clotting complication is killing coronavirus patients - msnNOW
“Good morning, Team Covid,” he wrote, asking for updates from the ICU team leaders working across 10 hospitals in the Emory University health system in Atlanta.
One doctor replied that one of his patients had a strange blood problem. Despite being put on anticoagulants, the patient was still developing clots. A second said she’d seen something similar. And a third. Soon, every person on the text chat had reported the same thing.
“That’s when we knew we had a huge problem,” said Coopersmith, a critical-care surgeon. As he checked with his counterparts at other medical centers, he became increasingly alarmed: “It was in as many as 20, 30 or 40 percent of their patients.”

'Second wave' of coronavirus in California could be worse - Los Angeles Times

Las Vegas mayor won't give businesses social distancing guidelines for reopening: 'They better figure it out. That's their job' - CNN

Covid-19 causes sudden strokes in young adults, doctors say - CNN

"The virus seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke," Oxley told CNN.
"Our report shows a seven-fold increase in incidence of sudden stroke in young patients during the past two weeks. Most of these patients have no past medical history and were at home with either mild symptoms (or in two cases, no symptoms) of Covid," he added.

Statement from leader of federal vaccine agency about his reassignment - CNN
"Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the Administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit. While I am prepared to look at all options and to think "outside the box" for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public. I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed COVID-19 while under the supervision of a physician. These drugs have potentially serious risks associated with them, including increased mortality observed in some recent studies in patients with COVID-19.
"Sidelining me in the middle of this pandemic and placing politics and cronyism ahead of science puts lives at risk and stunts national efforts to safely and effectively address this urgent public health crisis."

My fave video de jour, so funny but not

Wow, this sums up everything we have been told so far

way cool, Taddy the skateboarding in the snow cat


Impressed with this company's generosity. Bravo!

ha!

Interesting to learn



Yes, this actually happened.

One day, a computer will fit on a desk (1974)

ooh, cool places to explore
Mysterious Universe

Strange Company blogspot - lots and lots of cool links

Visualist Challange has so many interesting ideas

Bored Solutions is amazing

A sublime poem by Dylan Thomas

Fern Hill (1945)

Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green,
The night above the dingle starry,
Time let me hail and climb
Golden in the heydays of his eyes,
And honoured among wagons I was prince of the apple towns
And once below a time I lordly had the trees and leaves
Trail with daisies and barley
Down the rivers of the windfall light.
And as I was green and carefree, famous among the barns
About the happy yard and singing as the farm was home,
In the sun that is young once only,
Time let me play and be
Golden in the mercy of his means,
And green and golden I was huntsman and herdsman, the calves
Sang to my horn, the foxes on the hills barked clear and
cold,
And the sabbath rang slowly
In the pebbles of the holy streams.
All the sun long it was running, it was lovely, the hay
Fields high as the house, the tunes from the chimneys, it was
air
And playing, lovely and watery
And fire green as grass.
And nightly under the simple stars
As I rode to sleep the owls were bearing the farm away,
All the moon long I heard, blessed among stables, the
nightjars
Flying with the ricks, and the horses
Flashing into the dark.
And then to awake, and the farm, like a wanderer white
With the dew, come back, the cock on his shoulder: it was all
Shining, it was Adam and maiden,
The sky gathered again
And the sun grew round that very day.
So it must have been after the birth of the simple light
In the first, spinning place, the spellbound horses walking
warm
Out of the whinnying green stable
On to the fields of praise.
And honoured among foxes and pheasants by the gay house
Under the new made clouds and happy as the heart was long,
In the sun born over and over,
I ran my heedless ways,
My wishes raced through the house high hay
And nothing I cared, at my sky blue trades, that time allows
In all his tuneful turning so few and such morning songs
Before the children green and golden
Follow him out of grace.
Nothing I cared, in the lamb white days, that time would
take me
Up to the swallow thronged loft by the shadow of my hand,
In the moon that is always rising,
Nor that riding to sleep
I should hear him fly with the high fields
And wake to the farm forever fled from the childless land.
Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

----------
From this marvelous blogpost at Brain Pickings, such an exceptionally meaningful thing for Martha Graham to say!

------------
“Resign yourself to the lifelong sadness that comes from never ­being satisfied,” Zadie Smith counseled in her ten rules of writing. But how does one befriend this perennial dissatisfaction while continuing to unlock, to borrow Julia Cameron’s potent phrase, the “spiritual electricity” of creative flow?
To this abiding question of the creative life, legendary choreographer Martha Graham (May 11, 1894–April 1, 1991) offers an answer at once remarkably grounding and remarkably elevating in a conversation found in the 1991 biography Martha: The Life and Work of Martha Graham (public library) by dancer and choreographer Agnes de Mille.
In 1943, De Mille was hired to choreograph the musical Oklahoma!, which became an overnight sensation and ran for a record-setting 2,212 performances. Feeling that critics and the public had long ignored work into which she had poured her heart and soul, De Mille found herself dispirited by the sense that something she considered “only fairly good” was suddenly hailed as a “flamboyant success.” Shortly after the premiere, she met Graham “in a Schrafft’s restaurant over a soda” for a conversation that put into perspective her gnawing grievance and offered what De Mille considered the greatest thing ever said to her. She recounts the exchange:
I confessed that I had a burning desire to be excellent, but no faith that I could be.
Martha said to me, very quietly: “There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. As for you, Agnes, you have so far used about one-third of your talent.”
“But,” I said, “when I see my work I take for granted what other people value in it. I see only its ineptitude, inorganic flaws, and crudities. I am not pleased or satisfied.”
“No artist is pleased.”
“But then there is no satisfaction?”
“No satisfaction whatever at any time,” she cried out passionately. “There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”
---------------
What a beautiful song. I really relate to it. Lyrics so you can sing along.

Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris & Linda Ronstadt - Wildflowers


The hills were alive with wildflowers and I Was as wild, even wilder than they For at least I could run They just died in the sun And I refused to just wither in place Just a wild mountain rose Needing freedom to grow So I ran fearing not where I'd go When a flower grows wild It can always survive Wildflowers don't care where they grow And the flowers I knew In the fields where I grew Were content to be lost in the crowd They were common and close I had no room for growth And I wanted so much to branch out So I uprooted myself from home ground and left Took my dreams and I took to the road When a flower grows wild It can always survive Wildflowers don't care where they grow I grew up fast and wild And I never felt right In a garden so different from me I just never belonged I just longed to be gone So the garden one day set me free I hitched a ride with the wind And since he was my friend I just let him decide where we'd go When a flower grows wild It can always survive Wildflowers don't care where they grow Just a wild rambling rose seeking mysteries untold No regret for the path that I chose When a flower grows wild It can always survive Wildflowers don't care where they grow

tee hee
A new type o0f COVID-19 tracker

Instagram founders launch COVID-19 dashboard tracking how fast the virus is growing in each state

No comments:

Post a Comment